• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Carb vs. Fuel Injection

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Celt902

I am considering buying or building an Aerolite 103 and am curious what everyone's opinion is of carbs vs. fuel injection. I will be operating from higher elevations in Idaho. My local airport is about 2300' and my house sits around 3050'. I think I am set on the 2-stroke Hirth F-23. I emailed back and forth yesterday with a Hirth dealer and he suggested fuel injection to solve my density altitude issues. Today I was watching some videos for the Hirth F-23 specifically and I hear carbs are better and far more reliable (but it was from 2 years ago). I know almost nothing about these small engines so I was curious what opinions I could gather here. I realize fuel injection is more expensive but if it is safer I am willing to spend it. If not I don't want to waste my money. I weigh about 190 dressed including a helmet.

Back