• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Braced mid-wing landing gear

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cluttonfred

Supporting Member
As our longtime members already know, I have a thing for old French designs and have often thought the Farman F.455 Moustique III/Super Moustique would be a great inspiration for a retro open-cockpit two-seater with VW power: Interest in a modern incarnation of the Farman F.455 Moustique?

Essentially, it would be like a plus-sized TEAM MiniMax with side-by-side seating for two and a largely exposed VW engine. I suspect I would go with V-strut bracing rather than wires, though I could see an argument for V-struts below and wires above to reduce landing loads on the struts and retain the vintage feel. My question here is about the combination of wing bracing and landing gear.
farman f455 le bourget 1 feb 2014 - 4.jpg farman f455 le bourget 1 feb 2014 - 2.jpg
The original straight axle is not ideal for brakes, which I would like to have, and I also want to keep some sort of springing to the gear even if it's just bungee wraps. Right now my thought is rigid X-strut bracing for the bottom pylons (where the wire bracing is now) and maybe bent half axles hinged from the intersection of the X.
Untitled presentation (2).jpg
Does anyone have any better suggestions or historical examples of how to work this out relatively simply?

Cheers,

Matthew

Back