• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Garmin SL40....that's dirty pool old man !

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MadProfessor8138

So we are doing the condition inspection on the Starduster Too that I just purchased and decided to investigate the radio issue.
For the most part,the radio will power up just fine but will not transmit or receive....however,itwill sporadically work just fine and then go right back to not working properly.
Took the radio down to the local avionics expert and he ran his tests to eliminate the possibility of a bad connection on the tray connector.
No dice......
So,we decided to crack the case to see what we could see.
There are 4 small orange capacitors on the circuit board and 1 is definitely burnt out.
He did some testing and determined that was probably the issue.
20211004_161903.jpg
Well,upon searching through schematics and any info we could find on the web we had no luck finding anything on that capacitor.
After a few calls to other shops and then a call to Garmin......the radio has to be sent back to them for service through one of their authorized dealers.

Here's my problem with the situation............
They don't care what's wrong with the radio and want a $900 flat fee to fix it.
Why would anyone spend $900's to fix an outdated radio that needs a $1.25 capacitor ?
Garmin just seems to be playing dirty pool with that flat fee policy......so much so....that I'm shopping for a different brand to replace it.

Kevin

Back