• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Wooden structure reinforced with carbon fibre

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AncientAviation

Greetings all... I'm building a Mitchell wing B10 which is a wooden structure. I know one builder reported issues with the trailing edge of the wing as the fabric caused it to bow. He had to place additional wooden support from the rib to the centre point of the TE to prevent this happening.

I recently spoke to an old time B10 hang glider pilot that said he put a 1" carbon fibre strip over the TE, the rib upper and lower surfaces and over the plywood nose section but just above and below the spar and basically where the ribs attached. He said for very little weight it added a lot of strength. The hang glider version was very, very light.

I have tried to read up on how composites are added to/used with wood - but haven't come across much. I wonder about expansion with temperature, surface preparation and assume just a standard wet layup (no vacuum bagging)?

I think some of Jim Maske's Graphlite on the TE would be a good plan - although see in a thread here there are supply issues. I'm UK based so the Netherlands supplier (DPP | Carbon and glass-fibre profiles | Applications | Aerospace) I could use if need be...

I half considered if going to reinforce the TE as above, doing a similar thing with the spars? If I'm doing the TE anyway this might be easy enought to do although they are probably fine as designed and a waste of time and money...

Just before waste time and money thought I'd see if the gods on here could comment on this...

Pictures are of end product and give you an idea of the TE situation :)

Attachments

• B10__.jpg
    B10__.jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 45
  • b10_.jpg
    b10_.jpg
    70.6 KB · Views: 45
Back