• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Ultralight or wait to see if the FAA makes changes in the next few years that will allow me to fly again?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bluehair

OK, I hold a private license, but I haven't flown in about 30 years. The last medical exam I took was in the early 1990's and it was deferred due to a kidney stone history. The AME wanted me to go see a urologist and get a lot of records none of which I followed up with. I haven't had a kidney stone in at least 15 years now. But, I'm afraid to take another physical because I'm older and on blood pressure medication. I called the FAA last week and they show me as deferred from that physical. The guy suggested I talk to the Sports license people to see if I could fly that way. I will follow up there. I have read of some proposed changes to the sports license stuff, with larger aircraft and doing away with the third class medical being a possibility.

I'm looking for advice on whether I should hold out for the new rules or just go buy an ultralight. My concerns with the ultralight are mainly with the restrictions on where I could fly. Flying to another airport for a burger is more possible with a certified airplane than with an ultralight.

I will only do what is legal. I'm in my 60's, but I am about 1/3 of the way through law school and so I follow the law. Tell me what you think I should do! Please and thank you!

Back