• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Foreflight basic Q

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aviacs

I can barely use a cell phone, so probably screwed this up....

After several weeks trying, managed to download Foreflight plus (1 year paid subscription) onto a purpose acquired ipad air, the medium sized one.
Intention was to use it in the club planes i fly, and eventually in my Sonerai2 when that is complete.

Playing with the program (Foreflight) here in the house over another few weeks, i can get weather, understand the basic functions, etc.
Made a nice mount for it.

So today took it out in the car on a trip with my wife, to practice , and it won't acquire anything. No weather at any airports, no nav data on the split screen, nothing except more or less canned charts and airport info. No tracking. No gps. My wife talked me through enabling all the position stuff on the ipad. Still no joy. Actually, that was the exact term the came up on the Foreflight screen "no joy".

Is it necessary to have a separate data plan with the ipad, for Foreflight to work away from my home network?
I guess i thought that was what i was paying Foreflight for, a dataplan specific to flying, but accessible anywhere in continental US?
Is that the likely issue, or am i doing something else wrong?
Or even: "Foreflight knows when you are in a car and will refuse to cooperate"?

Thanks for any enlightenment.
smt

Back