• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Hello

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dwalker

Supporting Member
I skipped right by this forum, just started posting away in different areas, and figure it is about time I introduced myself.

I have always been interested in airplanes, and subscribed to Kitplanes Magazine way back in JR High through High school. In college I took flying lessons as I could afford them, but ran out of money- and spare time, I had to work through college!-before I could solo. Instead of using my degree and working in an office, I spent my entire career in auto racing, mostly sports car and vintage racing. I worked in every aspect of the shops I worked in- fabrication, machine shop, composites, paint and body, engine building,prep and of course, actual racing. Eventually I owned my own race team and several shops- paint and body, general service, a "tuning" shop, and of course the race shop. Most of my background was with Porsche and Mazda, with a fair amount of turbo engine experience. We were the last team to race a turbo RX7 at the Pikes Peak Hillclimb in 2010 (ran out of gas 1/4 mile from the finish line,did not expect to burn 8 gallons of fuel in 12 miles), and AFAIK the last team to entire a rotary at the PPIHC with the RX8.
I retired in 2016, and spent the last few years mostly as a competitive shooter, competing in 3 Gun matches all across the country as well as being the match director for my local match until recently. Before I retired I started looking at getting back into flying, finishing out my PP and buying a "reasonable" aircraft- I was looking at Cherokees, Bonanzas, Vikings, etc.- just 4 place workhorses- until I realized my wife has no interest at all in flying in small airplanes. I mean none. I have bought her the "familiarization" ride from several air centers over the last couple of years and she just doesnt care to go do it.
Which is OK. But then I started to change the way I thought about an airplane and decided that while I will likely pick up a 4-place spam can at some point, what I really want is a Long-EZ. So I bought an abandoned project. Then I picked up a Vari-Eze that was originally represented as a Long EZ for parts, but it is in such good condition/construction I am going to finish it out and will likely sell it at some point.

So that about it. I am fortunate that my background has given me all the skills- TIG welding, fabrication, composites, paint, etc. to build the aircraft along with the mentality to push forward and get it done.

Back