• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Restoring homebuilt, what are the legal hurdles

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dwalker

Supporting Member
I picked up a plans built aircraft that was registered in 1978, and was had an N-number registered to it until 2013. It currently has no panel, no powerplant, and it looks as if the data tag has been removed. I originally thought the airplane in terrible condition and was going to scrap it for parts for another project, however when I picked it up and looked it over I am leaning towards restoring it to flying condition.
What legal hurdles do I face, and what do I need to do to satisfy the FAA? My (admittedly near childlike) understanding is that I can restore the aircraft myself, apply for an N-number at some point, when its done have an A&P do an annual, then fly it.
My concern is that since there is no data plate or other documentation, a reasonable argument (yes, I understand we are dealing with a .gov agency and the word reasonable should not often be used) can be made to once the aircraft is all back together, at that time it would need to have a DAR do an airworthiness inspection, sign off on a 40 hour test, then get a new airworthiness certificate.

Help?

Back