• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Could you put together an automotive pusher power plant mostly off-the-shelf?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tiger Tim

Another thread here that I promised myself I would never post on has recently shown a major failure of a one-off home-brew diesel pusher and it got me wondering, could the same general idea be made to work but much easier? I don’t have a horse in this race (and never will) but let’s say the constraints are it needs to be based on a used auto engine, any fuel, and mounted on an unpressurized airframe. Also required is a minimal test program, the idea being to use things that are already reasonably well proven and can be operated with confidence. Basically nothing groundbreaking, hence off-the-shelf. Again, this is just me asking people smarter than myself just for the purpose of my own general education.

Could it be as simple as a junkyard LS V8 with an airboat gearbox, electric CS prop, and an EFI system from SDS or similar?

Back