• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Inexpensive solo cross-country machines?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cluttonfred

Supporting Member
Most of my interest in homebuilt aircraft is low and slow flying for fun. Still, I do sometimes daydream about long cross-country adventures, maybe a trip around the circumference of the USA. I am not looking for transportation on a schedule and don't want an IFR machine, just a fun flyer that can cross long distances and make good time with one hefty pilot and baggage including lightweight camping and survival gear. What are some existing homebuilts that could be suitable for solo cross-country adventures on a budget. Off the top of my head I am thinking *minimum* performance like this, though more payload and speed would be desirable.
  • Total budget (flying and fully equipped to night VFR levels) under $25,000
  • Cruising speed at least 100 mph (162 kph)
  • No-reserve range at that cruising speed at least 500 statute miles (760 km).
  • Payload with fuel for that no-reserve range at least 300 lb (136 kg)
My first thought is something like a Sonerai II set up as a single-seater from the rear cockpit complete with short canopy and the front 'pit given over to fuel and baggage with no provision for a passenger. Published specs show it with 300 mi range at 16 gallons fuel and a 2180cc Aerovee but since operating at a lower gross weight I bet I could manage close to 500 mi with 20 gal of fuel, an 1835cc VW, and the right prop. Other suggestions welcome, but let's keep this thread to existing homebuilts not idea designs.

Last edited:
Back