• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!
This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CBHurricane

I'm wondering if it'd be possible to create an 80% scale version of a hawker hurricane using an LS engine similar to the 80% P51 that has been built. Not sure the exact name of the person who built it, but found an engine runup video on the forum while reading everything I can. Being new to designing and building airframes and the affects of downsizing aircraft designs, I'm curious if it's plausible. Would the airfoil have to be reworked for a 20% decrease in size? I've been trying to read and catch up on as much of the scaled warbird topics as possible to catch a glimpse of design alterations; in so doing I found that with scaling aircraft down the biggest items affected are usually tail sections having to be enlarged, airfoils thicker or different altogether, and weight to power ratios. I've found these cases in reading the threads of the member who had the Hurricane 103 project, and the threads on basically all P51 scaled derivatives. With regards to scale Hawker Hurricanes, has anyone here built or have knowledge on design aspects of the flying legends and if the design was altered from the full size? I ask this as to my knowledge the Sindlinger Hurricane as all to scale as a 5/8 replica except a 4" wider and taller canopy and 12% larger elevator. I'm currently in no way at the point currently to start a project like this immediately, but always like thinking about potential projects and possibilities....maybe a 10 year project start date to have completed for retirement.

Back