• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Improving fuselage shape

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slociviccoupe

Searched and didnt find similar topic so posting one. Just got my pro composites vision plans and sadly not content with the boxy fuselage shape with radiused corners. So with that being said can the fuselage shape be modified. Prety much a poor mans lancair or glassair.
As long as i keep the wing and tail in same positions and same number of bulkheads in same location can i round it a bit more?

Is there any reason bottom of plane is flat? Does the fuselage provide any form of lift?

Ive read that fuselage should be mostly straight at the wings and not to taper in too quickly from the wing trailing edge (beluga belly mod on the lancair).

Im putting all my forms and bulkheads in cad right now stock per plans and another one with little more rounded shape to it. Ill be able to loft skins on it to see fuselage shape. But i would imagine the tip view would look like an airfoil shape and so could the side view.
Also what is good shape or design for fast airplanes?

Lastly when widening the cockpit which is allowable per the plans, does everything in those areas get widened? If cockpit grows additional 4-6" from 40" to 44-46" does wing center section get wider or does the cockpit just extend over the wing center section. If you widen the cockpit does firewall , dash, seatback bulkheads all get widened? Then the baggage bulkhead and rear bulkheads in tail get widened but slowly taper back to the plans built dimensions? Plans say up to 46" wide cockpit is allowable but doesnt say anything more about it.

Back