• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Stinson 108 wing tip fuel tanks

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Orange4sky

Hi,

After a lot of deliberation I have decided on wing tip fuel tanks for my 108 experimental build. It only has about 38 gallons stock and I'm putting in an O-540 so it's going to need more fuel. I ike the idea of gravity feed to keep them simple and the fact that they will not alter the C of G. The wings are already extended and squared off for droop tips. I'm thinking of almost full chord, full profile design made of 5052 .050" welded with baffles that extend out from the tank and double as spar tie-ins. Tank construction will be like a stinson tank with bent flanges welded along the outside forming lips. The outermost side of the tank will have to be lap welded on the inside edge to allow for a drillable flange where the tips are screwed on. They will be bolted to the existing spar extensions to allow for both strong attachment and removal. They will hold about 10 gallons each, have cap vents and be gravity feed. I calculated that each linear inch of chord equals about one gallon so they will add about ten inches of length and 4 sq feet of wing area as well.

My questions are mainly structural. Do you think a through spar design like this would be strong enough? I was thinking about screwing them on like a fibreglass tip but was concerned that would not be strong enough. Does anyone have any suggestions or any issues that you can see with this design?

CamScanner 11-26-2020 12.52_1.jpg

Back