• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Le Pou Metallique... a Metal Flying Flea in the SW USA

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Victor Bravo

Supporting Member
Here's a strange one. Today I went out to burn up some dead dinosaurs, and went to the lake bed. On the way back, I dropped in at a small private strip west of there, a little desert dirt strip affectionately known as "Area 52" (really). I had sold a Zenair 701 project to one of the guys that built this place, and he said "anytime you're out in that area, drop in, and tell the boys to put down the AR-15's 'cause Ken said you could land there..."

So I landed, and the boys didn't turn me into a perforated rifle target, and I had a great time. One guy was covering a Sky Raider 1 ultralight, there was an Aeronca Chief converted into a large pilot, single seat, open parasol (really), several ultralights, strange Subaru powered gyroplanes, and a fairly rare homebuilt Stits Skycoupe.

There were two even more interesting treasures I found there. One was a Superfloater open primary glider, which you don't see too many of. The other was the carcass of what I can only guess is a one-off, all aluminum Pou du Ciel. Other than the electric ultralight Flea of Nedo Lavorini in Italy, I've never heard of any single seat Flea executed in sheet metal. Have any of you Pou enthusiasts ever seen or heard of this strange little beast??

Metal Flea 11-21-2020-2.jpg
Metal Flea 11-21-2020-1.jpg
Metal Flea 11-21-2020-3.jpg

Back