• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Bubble party--acrylic canopy transparencies

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
FYI, our next Akaflieg build session will be a bubble party--we're going to learn the art and technique of stretch-forming acrylic sailplane canopy transparencies over male plugs. I'll collect the plugs for HP-14, HP-18, and HP-24, and we'll pull a few bubbles and see what we get. If you have a canopy plug, bring it and we'll see if we can form to it.

Scheduling is up in the air; it depends on a lot of factors, including the availability of the acrylic forming expert I'm bringing in to lead us. But probably sometime in the early weeks of January. Location isn't locked down either, but it will be either at our shop in Arnold CA or at our logistics facility in Montague CA.

Plan on pandemic precautions: Masks or respirators (not those goofy clear plastic face shields) at all times, daily temperature checks, and as much personal space margin as we can manage given the work we're doing. Unlike typical Akaflieg sessions, we will will not have group accommodations, but there will be hotels nearby.

Oh- and one thing we probably won't be doing is attempting to free-blow canopy bubbles. Sure, it's a perfectly valid method, but it just isn't what works for what I'm doing.

Email me [email protected] if you're interested, and I'll start a list.

Back