• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Drill sizes

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey everyone,

I am based in eastern Canada, and I am surprisingly having a hard time finding #20, #30 and #40 drill bits over the counter. It would seem I need to special order from my local tool store. It is for my CH 750 project.

My question is if I dare use the fractional drill sizes instead. I did a small comparison.

Comparison #20

#20 = 4.089 mm
5/32 in = 3.96875 mm
Difference is 0.12025 mm (approx 2.9%)

Comparison #30

#30 = 3.264 mm
1/8 in = 3.175 mm
Difference is 0.089 mm (approx 2.7%)

Comparison #40

#40 = 2.489 mm
3/32 in = 2.38125 mm
Difference is 0.10775 mm (approx 4.3%)

So in all cases, the difference is that the holes with fractional drill bits are 0.1 mm smaller, or about size of a human hair.

I don't want to mess up when drilling. Should I just order a batch of the gauage drill bits?

Back