• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Design choices from scratch

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

malte

Hi fellow dreamers.

I have a broader question where I'd like to hear some opinions and arguments from you.

I have a M.Sc in aeronautical engineering (RWTH Aachen University) and am working in certification of aircraft, having been part of the EASA certification of five aircraft to differing degrees and a few STCs (most of which are also FAA certified).

I now have a Lake LA-4 in restoration after a hard water landing ("just" assembly to be done by now), a MJ-2H Tempête in restoration (electric system, magneto overhaul, some minor wood works and assembly / new flight testing needs to be done) and a Ka-1 Glider (minor woodwork, covering, instrumentation, steering cables, reinstallation of metal parts and assembly to be done). So my workshop-time is full for a year or so.

However, I would like to build and design from scratch. Although having certification experience, I haven't done that, yet (university exercises in spar-building or aircraft sizing don't count).

I do know, that it takes considerable design time (especially if working low paced due to the other projects). Jean Delemontez once said he needs about two man-years to design an aircraft and despite the easier access to computers, I can't even keep a straight face if I were to claim that I come close to that. So whatever I would do, I won't cut wood/glass/metal within three to four years, I think.

One of the planes I have in mind is a glider capable of unlimited aerobatics. Two seats, if possible self-launched (perhaps electric) but that's not definitive. Might consider designing for kit production, but that, too, is not set in stone.

However, a frp-unlimited acro glider is not trivial, even if systems are much simpler than - lets say - on a raptor ;-). The flight dynamics can srew up a design, the loads are high and you don't want to have any unexpected behaviour.

Given my low experience in designing, I thought, why not design something at first, where you don't even need a computer. Get acquainted to the process by designing something simple. Jodel D9 / Stark Turbulent / Taylor Monoplane / Evans Volksplane style of aircraft. Perhaps openly work by hand and showing the design principles behind simple designs. I love these little flying fleas as much as the acro gliders, so my devotion would be into the aircraft, too.

Would you go directly into the more complicated project, or start easy? Would you stick to one final materiel (FRP) or would you consider using other materials (metal/wood)? Would you be open (not only one way but also open to critique and change) or design with a good reviewing friend?

Questions over questions...

I probably will do what I want to do anyway, but good arguments will shape that goal and path, I think.

Thanks a lot!
Malte

Back