• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Another “help me decide” thread.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NOLA

Enough research, time to ask for help.

I’m a welder/fabricator looking for a scratch built project. (Emphasis on scratch built)
I have spent months looking through designs while trying to narrow it down and define my mission. I know I’ll have to compromise on something unless I modify an existing design, which I’m not opposed to.
What I have so far.
STOL, rugged, side by side (lady’s request but flexible), tube and fabric, LSA gross (possible higher gross pending 3rd class med), tail dragger, bush gear/tires, classic lines/looks, Spartan Vfr cockpit, Yamaha, aeromomentum or equivalent 130-150hp light engine,
I’m in the Caribbean so sun and salt water are factors. I’m about 160lbs after eating a poboy and only 5’9” so ergonomics aren’t a real constraint. Long Range and high speeds are not important.
A Sub 500lb useful load is perfectly acceptable. Most I’ll put in it is a couple surfboards, some light camping gear and a change of clothes, occasionally my downhill mtb (40lbs)
I was considering an extended fuse/wing wagabond or pa22 colt clone, with slats, big flaps, vg’s, etc. Also took a hard look at the pegazair as it’s performance is incredible but I’m not in love with the looks and average build time.
I could always build a wagabearhawkazair... 😂
So, what do you all think? Am I missing some amazing, unknown design that meets my criteria or should I start compromising?
I have cleared a spot in my shop and will be building nice and flat jig tables while awaiting y’all’s input. Thanks in advance and sorry for the long windedness, us Cajun folk love to talk.

Edit: Eventually I’d love to put it on amphibs, there’s some incredible spots here on the east side of Puerto Rico that I’d love to dive/snorkel from a plane instead of a boat.

Back