• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Borescope recommendations - Looking at mid time engines

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wsimpso1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Hi, the time has come. I am looking at mid time engines, and want a borescope to check all cylinders and the cam shaft. No one I know has one, so I am figuring on buying one. First and foremost, I would like to hear folks' experience and recommendations as to type, brand, and models.

I know that I want an articulated scope to be able to examine valves and cylinder walls through spark plug holes, as well as enter the crankcase through the oil drain hole and look at the cam and a some of the lifters. I can not tell if I should really want the flexible scopes with articulation or go with a rigid scope with articulated end. The price difference is significant.

Any other tips on examining an engine is also useful for me. I have been around engines much of my life, but airplane engines are both more serious and have the danger of having had prop strikes. Sounds like I want to go through it internally before committing it to flight.

Advice and commentary welcome here! Thanks,

Billski

Back