• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Engine cost

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JamesF

Hi,

I belong to a car club along with a bunch of other retired old coots. We like to acquire older cars and rebuild back to new or customize them. Almost always put new engines in them. The current engine favorite is the Chevy 350 LS series. I currently have a 49 Plymouth, a 69 Torino fastback, and a 64 Ford F100 P/U truck.
I also want to build a T100D Mariah ultralight with a 1/2 VW engine. Hummel offers a nice 42 HP engine, hand start. The reason I mention this in conjunction with cars is this is that you can buy a brand new LS 350 crate engine from Summit Racing for $4400.00. The Hummel costs $4500. A new case, starter, and alternator add $1300. BTW, the 350 is not stripped. It is complete except for an intake manifold and a carb. Those aren’t included in case you want to use fuel injection.
I’m aware of the economies of scale but geez! I really can’t reconcile that in what passes for my brain, I’d really like to know what you guys think of that price difference. How many 1/2 VW engines do you suppose you would have to build to get the price down to around $3000?
James Fuller

Back