• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Al Backstrom and inspiration from model aircraft

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cluttonfred

Supporting Member
The late Al Backstrom is know as a pioneer in plank flying wing sailplanes in the USA. I was lucky enough to meet him at a flying wing symposium in the mid-1990s and found him to be quite modest, a can-do guy who saw something he wanted to do and just got it done.

Backstrom was also an avid model aircraft builder and designer, and here is one page that pulls together (some?) of his model plans.

https://outerzone.co.uk/search/results.asp?keyword=Al Backstrom
As you might expect, there are a number of tailess designs, both historic and Backstrom's own designs, but also some conventional planes, at least in configuration.
  • Aeromarine Klemm AKL-26-B
  • Born Loser
  • Invictarwing International
  • Kinner Crackerbox
  • Lippisch Stork IX b
  • Mr Malcom
  • Persey
  • Sopwith Bee
  • Watkinson Dingbat
I don't have any deep meaningful point to make here, it's just that looking at this particular collection of Backstrom models fuels my imagination when it comes to homebuilts. There's a lot here, from historic record-setters to fanciful imaginings that could still fly well. Just thought I'd share....

Cheers,

Matthew

Back