• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Vertical tail volume coefficients - what am I missing?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grimace

I am trying to do some preliminary sizing of a vertical tail for an ultralight glider. I have the following -

Swing: 143sqft
b: 41.5'
Lvt: 10'
Cvt: .04 (per Raymer)

And it says I need about 24sqft of surface area for the vertical tail. That is ridiculously huge. I looked at other comparable aircraft as best I could and it looks like I'm about twice the size that I would expect. Using the TLAR method, the tail is 1/3rd the size it should be. With the "Well, just make it a smidge smaller than comically huge" method, I am still drastically undersized by about half.

What am I missing? I realize that a 10' Lvt is pretty short, but the vertical tail is 16% of the wing area? Bear in mind, these numbers are approximate. I'm just trying to see if I am in the ballpark... And apparently I am not.

I think I must be off with my maths. Either that, or there must be some trick I'm missing or there's better data for ultralight aircraft and my assumptions based on heavier gliders and aircraft are off. Any thoughts?

Last edited:
Back