• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

1/2 VW plans

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oldcrow

So who sells the best 1/2 VW cut case plans? I haven't yet decided if I am going to purchase an engine or build my self. I have access to some old cases, cranks and heads ( not serviceable at all) to practice with before destroying something new. I would like to look at some plans to see if it is within my skills and equipment that I have/have access to. For those that have built their own, what special equipment is required?
As far as cost goes, I know that I can build a nice motor for less than $3k. So there is the incentive verses $4k+ for one already built. I have built many stock and high performance VW engines 1600cc to 2332cc and never had a problem with any of them. Except one, a 2180 had a bad cam (from the factory) that decided to break but no major damage was done, and a 1914 that had an oil leak around the jugs from a bad block. (a new aluminum block at that).
So anyway chime in with your thoughts of the plans that you have purchased from where and about good or bad points about them.
thanks, Ken

Back