• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

What scale and composition of your favorite Warbird would you purchase?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What scale and composition of your favorite warbird would you purchase?

• Total voters

J Galt

Supporting Member
Hello Everyone,
This is a question I've been kicking around ever since I discovered the Supermarine (Texas) ~75% scale Spitfire. In the youtube video comments people asked "Why not just do 100%?" Their answer of course was that the weight goes up dramatically and they say you need a huge engine to power it and balance it.

So I've created a poll, what would you actually spend your money on?

There will have to be a few assumptions:
1. You can afford all versions (but you're not Bill Gates)
2. Cost of operation is relatively similar, i.e. the 100% is not powered by a real warbird engine like a Merlin
3. Cost to purchase 90% is say 10-15% less than full scale
4. Time to build is within say 10-15% for a given composition, i.e. 90% metal compared to 100% metal. (composite being substantially quicker than metal to build across the board)

Would you go all out for a full scale metal or be more practical with a slightly smaller, slightly cheaper version?

Reading your posts over the years, I'm sure some of you guys have some thoughts on this. What do you think?
Justin

Back