• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Avionics/Safety/Regs question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DLrocket89

So, here's a question...I'm considering building a CH801 (in about 10 years :ermm:). If I fly the CH801, I'll fly it because it'll be good for getting into and out of my backyard. My intent is to make it amphibious and be able to fly up north and go camping/fishing on a lake with it.

Now, I was interested in the Garmin 430W (whatever one is the Nav/Comm/GPS combo) that lets you fly WAAS approaches...so...instrument landings on GPS basically.

I've also seen that some of the LCD panels will show you a "hiway in the sky"...basically, they take your flight plan and convert it into boxes on the screen. Fly through those boxes and you're on course.

That got me thinking...with WAAS being as accurate as it is (and electronics these days being as adapative as it is), is there a way I could program in a WAAS approach (or something similar..."hiway in the sky", whatever) so that I could fly an instrument/WAAS approach into my backyard?

It's something like $10K or $100K to have a WAAS approach officially published...not interested in that. Just wondering if the instruments would help me out any.

As for the regs part of the question, I have a sneaky suspicion that this would be illegal per FAA regs. Maybe. I dunno...I'm new to this whole thing.

Thoughts anyone?

Back