• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Flying Flea PIREPS

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DRFlyer

Hi all,

I'm currently looking at building a Flying Flea (HM 293 to be exact), mostly for storeability reasons but also for the "quirkiness" factor. One thing I've been having a bit of a hard time finding are pilot reports on how these planes are to fly, especially with regards to takeoff and landing. It seems like there are plenty of aircraft flying around that I'd think I could find more about their mannerisms and if the 2-axis controls limit the usefulness of the plane.

I love the design, but I can't help but thinking that it would be a better idea to stick with a more conventional 3-axis design like a Pietenpol or Legal Eagle. I'm just looking for something for cheap/fun low & slow flying that won't cost a fortune to maintain or fly.

Would anyone here who has flown one of these aircraft or one that uses the Mignet layout be able to chime in on what it's like to fly, especially as compared to a conventional aircraft?

Thanks

Back