• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Titanium

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cheapracer

Does anyone here know much about Titanium?

There is quite a bit for sale around where I am, Grade 2 mostly as far as I can tell, but higher as well.

I realise the grade is low means it's lower quality, but what should I know further? Is it still as strong as steel at half the weight etc?

Is there a grade I should be aiming at for 'general aircraft use' (relative), like you would generally use 4130 if steel, or 6061/2024 if aluminium?

Not much discussion about it, are there drawback or just too expensive for general use that scares people off?

Back