• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Testing, data collection, but poor data

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dana

Super Moderator
Staff member
Yesterday I tested a new prop on my Hatz. The test is inconclusive, with some oddities (more on that later). The test was a series of climbs with first the old, and then the new prop. The flights were recorded with an old Garmin 60CSx which has a pressure sensor, so it's a lot more accurate than GPS altitude. That data was analyzed with "Trackreader", a windows program I wrote myself:

upload_2019-10-27_15-41-25.png

At the same time, a GoPro was looking at the instrument panel to record time, speed, altitude, rpm (note the tach display on the phone on the right):

upload_2019-10-27_15-46-5.png

Finally, I put the climb date into a spreadsheet. It was a bumpy day, so I really don't trust the numbers:

upload_2019-10-27_15-48-9.png

This is the weird part. Climb vs. airspeed should be a smooth curve with a single high point. The dip at 65 knots shouldn't be there, the strange part is that it's there in both tests. The data at 55kts is suspect, too. If I delete the 55 and 65 knot values, I get curves that, although probably not correct (Vy shold be closer to 55kts), look like what you would expect:

upload_2019-10-27_15-53-43.png

Clearly I need to do more testing under better conditions, though I probably won't put the original prop back on. Once I believe I have accurate data I expect to send the prop back for rework to have some pitch taken out (I was looking for more climb, hopefully without too much loss of top speed).

Back