• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Single rotor turbo diesel rotary

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cheapracer

I visited a Chinese University yesterday after I saw a brochure for their rotary aero engine in development.

This is a 'Power Train University' where they develop engines for major engine manufacturers, mind you I only saw diesels as I passed by all the dynometer rooms, all were medium sized truck engines , around the 250 to 300hp, inline 6.

The rotary is very real, ECU diesel, turbo apparently running near 3 bar, their own design PSRU that looks not like the one in the brochure, and they were saying 300 hours on the dyno with it now, with a few repairs and modifications along the way apparently.

While the casings were bespoke, with a 'peripheral port' intake (and a bit large also ('apex seals at danger' type large)), you could clearly see the Mazda heritage, and I'm certain the rotor on the disassembled one on the bench was pure stock Mazda OEM, including the stock combustion chambers. I can't say that one had been run as a diesel, I don't know about the rotor in the actual complete running diesel engine.

136 hp, which they were adamant as they corrected me every time I said: "So, 130 plus hp..."

The brochure says 80kgs, but that's just the sigle rotor engine, I figure closer to 110+ kgs/245 lbs including PSRU, mounts and cooling systems (plural, rotarys need good oil cooling) - a litle heavy for the hp, but **** good for a diesel.

They were quite surprised I knew so much about rotarys, including telling them about NSU and Felix Wankel, and that I had worked on NSU, Mazda AND Suzuki! They didn't even know about the Suzuki RE5 .. I didn't bother to mention the Norton ...

So that's about all I know, typical Chinese being ultra secretive and protective of their '20 years behind' tech, you should have seen the excitement when I pulled out my phone to look for a translated word and they thought I was going to take a picture ... lol ...

It's not in production yet, but they say they are ready...

They also had 2,3, and 4 rotor engines pictured, I think there was a 4 rotor onder some blankets in the dyno room.

Verdit, votes, comments, interest ???

rotary diesel 2.jpg rotary diesel 1.jpg

Back