• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Pandora box

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stanislavz

This thread is special case of this one : https://www.homebuiltairplanes.com/forums/threads/devfus-foam.32338/ and one special persone

I was asked, to design and help build an fuselage of ul class high wing. Now, as a prototype do come fk-9

21_o_1.jpg

Happy part - front will be combined - metal tube frame for structural / crash protection. Tail - only composite. So - all from door rear edge to tail - is composite. And yes - it is with some pros and cons.

For pros - it is a perfect part to be made in a foil-on-foam mold, possible to mold in one piece.

For cons - you have 4 point to connect it to tube frame. But tube frame itself is "main connector for all main/heavy parts".

Pros - connector in composite aircraft is a hard thing to design and build

Question - which kind of data is necessary for calculations ?
Should it be done as stressed skin with some support walls later added ? Or all could be incorporated in a single step using precutted \_/ pieces of foam in one single process ?

Like this :
cw-19-news-spirit-panel-1a.jpg;max-width=300

As i see it - biggest isuue here would be wall buckling under load.

Inspiration/design philosophy - do it nice on both sides, and as fast as possible, by using clever/smart solutions.

Should i add here some vision on possible wing building ?

I can call it as a corrugated plastic construction, with non-load bearing foam formers.

Last edited:
Back