• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Electric Aircraft for Engineering Senior Design Project

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tgcastleman

I am a senior mechanical engineering student at Lamar University (Beaumont, TX). For senior design, I am working with a team of 3 other students towards designing a single-seat, multi-engine homebuilt experimental electric aircraft. I would prefer not to post too many details here on the internet right now, but we are seeking experienced advice on general aircraft design and electric propulsion for aircraft.

So far, our initial (very first) sizing calculations put the aircraft somewhat in this range:

Weight: 400-700 lbs empty (with 100-200 lb battery)
Power: 30-55 hp
Cruise: 70-110 kts
Composite construction (foam & fiberglass)

That is all I would like to say about it specifically right now. If you are interested in being involved, please send me a message on this website with a brief description of your applicable experience/education and interest in participation.

I would like to hear the community's opinion on our current top choice for motors. We are looking at using four of the following motors.

https://www.getfpv.com/lumenier-lu15ii-100kv-professional-motor.html

Also, please feel free to post about specific possible sources of funding for this kind of project.

Thank you guys. I will post more information as the project progresses.

Back