• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Lateral Damping: Any actual flying wing pilots on here?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aerowerx

For quite some time I have had a flying wing design on the back burner. Every so often I stir the pot to keep it from boiling over.;)

I have seen the mil-spec for acceptable handling characteristics and have a feel for the required amount of damping for lateral and longitudinal stability. In my virtual tests, longitudinal is not a problem.

What I am wondering is if there is anyone on here that has flown a tailless flying wing. How did it behave? Did the nose tend to wander back and forth? Was it "disconcerting"? Any other strange quirks?

If you answer, it would be highly useful to know the type of aircraft. And I am including hang gliders and trikes in this, besides the Mitchel wings and Kasper wings, Opal, Marske designs, etc. A report on the newer Horten designs would be great!

Back