• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Issues and Solutions for kit- and plans-based sailplanes and motorgliders

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TerryM76

Supporting Member
Moderator Note: I forked this discussion off to its own thread, as it's really no longer related to the ESA Western Workshop thread where it began. - Topaz

------------------------

Hear, hear! I always come away from the workshop energized and ready to push my project forward. If for no other reason than being around a bunch of people who are passionately interested in the same thing.

Well, we had Sonja Englert with her self-designed, scratch-built motorglider last year, and that was fascinating - especially since she had the airplane there with her. I'm more of mixed emotions on this. I enjoy things like the fly-by-wire systems on the Nixus sailplane, and so on, but I do also wish there were some more down-to-earth design and/or build reports as well. Of course, people designing and building their own sailplane/motorglider probably aren't going to pop up every year. I really enjoyed Neil Pfeiffer's analysis of mission issues for a kit-built motorglider. I think he raised some very interesting points, including the over-emphasis on L/D and soaring performance as a barrier to getting more and different designs realized, and practical for real-world designers. Barnaby Wainfan's input to the panel discussion on this sub-topic was, I think, right on the money. .

I regret not being able to attend last year but I am glad that 2018 is in my rear-view mirror now.

Obviously a barrier to entry is not due to low cost gliders nowadays, as Doug Fronious and others pointed out and I am sure there are plenty types waiting to be resurrected to see the light of day again. The certificated gliders will need the attention of an A&P/IA every year but maintenance can be supervised by an A&P or performed if its beyond the skill of an owner. Not sure if that is a barrier for interested people.

My own personal barrier right now is having the resource of time and maybe that is keeping a few people from getting engaged with this activity. I am currently trying to line up the necessary components for retiring in about 6 years but if I keep waiting to get back into gliding it will just remain an elusive dream.

So, why don't you guys all move to the Phoenix area in about 5 years, I'll do your Condition/Annuals and you pay for the parts.....and give me the keys to your glider after I sign the logbooks?

Last edited by a moderator:
Back