• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Canopy frame design

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scheny

My project has a 3mm Plexi window over a carbon frame, with the form of the window already fixed, but the rest of the details are still out for discussion.

I have watched a video () where a guy is asking Mr Jonkers about their new JS-3 glider. Apart from the stunning details they added to this plane, it has some very interesting remark about new findings in crash safety they incorporated to their canopy frame design and I would like to know who has more background about it.

Most of you will know how a glass/carbon canopy normally looks like in a Diamond DA40 or a Cirrus. The JS-3 however does not have the frame be positioned by the profile in the fuselage going around the frame, instead it has 2 pins per side which are holding it in place while its freely floating on top. If I understood correctly, this improves closure under heavy buckling conditions. The closing mechanism seems to drive bolts through this pins, so it is attached to the fuselage at all four points.

What do you think about this design? Can I have a rectangular cross-shape carbon frame, glue the Plexi on it and have it flat mounted to the fuselage with only a seal between, or should there be a profile added to it instead?

Also, what kind of locking mechanism do you prefer? My favourite is the Diamond. I will attach a drawing later on.

Back