• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

The Lone Ranger - a Ranger/SD-1/Aeromax based design

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rtfm

Hi,
I got really excited with Fritz' Ranger design, and when he provided the DXF file for the cabin structure, I thought I'd landed in builder heaven. A mostly CNC routed airframe - what could be better? I had found a sub-$500 full-sheet CNC router called the Lowrider2, and ordered it. I also had an Ender3 3D printer, so I could print all the parts.

Long story short, I had a CNC router, and the DXF files for the cabin. And then, the source of DXF files seemed to dry up. I waited, but nothing more arrived from the inspired pen of Fritz. So I decided to roll my own.

I already had the Aeromax wings and tail feathers. I've been a long admirer of the SD-1 as far as construction methods are concerned. And, of course, a great admirer of the Ranger. So this is what I came up with:

View media item 79553
The "wood" parts you see are 3mm Birch ply. This forms the perfect template for the 19mm square Spruce doublers. Bonded with T88. Once the spruce/ply has been bonded, 1.5mm ply is bonded to the outside. The SD-1 is built this way (without the CNC cut ply "template") and is incredibly rigid and light.

The profile is pure Aeromax, of course (especially the nose section), with touches of Ranger.

Like the Aeromax and the Ranger, the fuse is extremely narrow - actually 216mm wide. The tail section tapers down to 114mm

The tail feathers are actually Aeromax parts.

I hope to begin cutting the plywood for the fuse and tail section next weekend.

Regards,
Duncan

Back