• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Avex countersunk rivets?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

geosnooker2000

I have noticed Hummel H-5s use 1682-0412 rivets. I am looking for a flush rivet to use on a Zenith CH 640 type project, and don't want the hassle of bucking solid rivets. I have been all over the YouTubes high and low looking for a video dealing with FLUSH blind rivets. Can't find any. Even the 15 part Hummel H-5 assembly video doesn't show any riveting being done, it only shows parts assemblies and clecoing. Then it cuts away and comes back with the riveting already done. I have seen this guy show his flush-riveted work, but he never discusses how the rivet head is formed or augmented (if at all).

According to this chart by Avex, they meet or exceed the ultimate shear of the rivets Zenith specs:

https://www.erivet.com/catalogimages/AVEX.pdf

Here is a statement on the Aircraft Spruce site on behalf of Zenith:

The Zenith blind rivets are made from quality alloys, and are batch tested by Zenith Aircraft Company for shear strength before being shipped.

These rivets are corrosion resistant, and the stem becomes locked in after being set. Also, not many different lengths are required for different diameters or thicknesses. In the Assembly Instructions, they are designated as A4 (1/8) and A5 (5/32).

They have a design shear strength of 130 lbs. and 220 lbs. respectively. Use only Zenith rivets supplied with the kit.

Zenith Aircraft Company has developed a unique process for setting blind rivets, which requires custom rivet heads. The process uses flush-type rivets, where the flush rivet head is formed into a domed-head by the riveting process. This provides an permanent tight finish to all set rivets. To accomplish this, the riveter heads must be ground (machined) with a concave dome (see diagram). Only 1/8" (A4) and 5/32" (A5) rivets are required to assemble the kit.

Zenair blind rivets for the ZENAIR Riveting System
ZENAIR blind (or pulled) rivets have been used to construct the all-metal Chris Heintz designs since the 1970s, and make riveting a quick and easy process! The ZENAIR riveting system forms the rivet head as the blind rivet is pulled, providing a low profile dome finish and high shear strength. Fast installation, simple tools and low cost make this a popular riveting system with homebuilders!

Which makes it sound like they use the exact same rivet. My big question is, if there is such a thing as a flush blind rivet, shouldn't one be able to install it in a flush manor? Wouldn't that be the whole point of manufacturing such an animal?

Back