• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Is steam or air really viable?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aerowerx

There was a recent post on a steam powered aircraft from the 1930s. And another recent one on miniature air powered engines.

I was just wondering, with modern technology, is either one really viable as an aircraft engine?

For air, you would need a large pressure tank in order to get any range at all. And a way to fill it if you are away from your home base. Or a compressor on board and some way to power that.

For steam, you need a boiler and a water supply. And fuel for the boiler.

Seems to me that neither would be any where as near efficient as a good ole' IC engine running on av gas. The only advantage I see is that the engine itself could be lighter because you would not have to deal with the N explosions every revolution, with resulting heat and pressures.

By the way, the Tucker automobile comes to mind. If I recall correctly, it was air powered with a small gas powered compressor in the trunk. I don't know how well that would work when scaled up for aircraft use.

Back