• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Flaps definitions in theory vs. reality

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

geosnooker2000

I can identify hinge flaps. They're pretty clear. They just rotate on a single axis within the body of the flap. My question deals with the vague grey area between slotted and Fowler flaps. At the beginning of the scale is the design where there are 2 or 3 tabs protruding down from the trailing edge to provide a rotation point that creates a turning radius with the axis outside the flap body. At the end are jumbo-jet-style Fowlers that are actually on tracks. But my question is, at what point does a flap system leave one definition and join the other? Is the difference more about the chord lengthening ability of Fowlers vs. slotted, or is it strictly about mechanisms? I could design a flap pivot extension tab with a radius that is so long that it will mimic the chord lengthening abilities of Fowler flaps. So what do you guys think? Is this technically a fowler flap?
FP23062009A0007F.jpg

Back