• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

More of my random designs

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sockmonkey

For fun I decided to mess around with a small passenger/cargo plane design.
Not just neat looking, it's based on specific traits I wanted to include.
49y0unj.png

Twin engine redundancy without serious off-axis problems if one fails means a lot of design compromises to make it push-pull or the fiddly bits of a co-axial.
A pair of pullers close together is the next best thing.
That means the fuselage can't protrude ahead of the wing, which shifts the CG back, which means it has to be a tandem wing.
Tandem wings have advantages of their own, so it seemed a better compromise.
Aside from the high lifting capacity it also accommodates clamshell doors at the tail for easy loading.
The aft wing has a single flap to adjust trim to account for load variances.
The front wing has "flapelevons" for takeoff, roll, and climb.
Made the aft wing a high delta for dihedral effect and the additional directional stability, plus big twin rudders.
Engines are a pair of liquid cooled inline sixes.

Back