• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Need advice on ultralight idea

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GeneG

Hello all,
Long time lurker, would like some guidance.

I am interested in building an electric part 103 ultralight.
My preferences are to build an aluminum aircraft similar in profile to the teenie two.
My idea is to have it a mid wing, twin engine pusher plane.

Some specific design info:
the 2 motors would produce 15 horsepower at 11 kw and about 140? pounds thrust each.
These would placed aft wing in the middle wing section which is permanantly attached to the fuselage. This section would be between 7 and 8 feet.
Also located in the wing section would be the removable battery packs, the controllers and associated items.
The outer wing sections would be removable like the teenie and would be approximatly 8 feet each producing a span of 23 to 24 feet, but can certainly be more. Construction similar to the Zenith CH750.
I am thinking of a naca 4412 or similar airfoil, but welcome recommendations.
I am not sure if I would need flaps or flaperons to meet the minimum stall speed.
By moving all of the power system and weight to the wing area the wing can be moved rearward resulting in the spar carry through being aft of the pilot.
I am open as to the tail feathers.

The motors with props will weigh about 25 pounds each. I am considering ivo props, but would like recommendations.
The controllers would weigh about 4.5 pounds each.
The batteries will weigh in the area of 30 pounds each and can be installed in parallel as required. They will provide approx 60 amp hour at 92 volts each and measure about 20 inches by 16 inches by 3.5 inches.
Additional batteries of 30 or 60 amp hours could be simply plugged in. I would argue that the 30 amp hour batteries at 30 pounds total would equal the 5 gallon fuel allowance. Since they are located just aft of the main spar, weight and balance is negligable.

Adding up the minimum battery weights, the total power plant and fuel will weigh about 120 pounds.
The power systems are completely separate and redundant. In case of a failure, the stopped drive can be prevented from freewheeling by shorting the stator.

Thanks for your indulgence,
Gene

Back