• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

CriCri Composite

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ULF

Hi,
I am getting serious about a CriCri built, not in 2024 alclad, but made out of composits.
Right now I am working on cutting the wing and flaps cores out of pu-foam, and I plan to use the negatives as a mould for the wing skin.
The wing will be a hollow composite with a glass- carbon skin, having a balsa core and again, glass on the inside.
The spar will be made of carbon rovings and glass shear web on balsa and pu-foam core.
There will be 4 ribs, to hold the 4 flaperon brackets, plus a rib at the root.
I calculated, that the weigh of the 2024 T3 original wing sheeting would be nearly cut in half, going composite.
I think, it should be reasonable, to reduce the overall weight of the entire airplane, without sacrificing strength.
What do you people say to this approach?
How about using some inner part of the hollow wing as a fueltank? This way I`d get rid of some more weight?

Are there any CriCri piloits? How does the fuelsystem work?
Is there any electric fuel pump, or does the engines run a pump, or is it only suction?
How would you make a fueltank inside a hollow wing? Do I need special epoxy, or does regular laminating epoxy do the job? And is there a standpipe in the tank?

Last edited:
Back