• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Consensus on Lightest FAR 103 Wing Design

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WhiskeyHammer

This might be as silly question but is there any consensus on what the lightest wing design is for a homebuilt ultralight?

Planes like the Invader Mk 3, the SkyDock, and the Backyard Flyer Swing Wing appear to be the only planes without some kind of strut or wire bracing. So I'm guessing that the the strut based designs are probably some combination of stronger and lighter.

Which fixed wing ultralight would you recommend I study for a good lightweight wing design?

Bonus Question: It doesn't look like there are many (if any) kit or production fiberglass composite FAR103 ultralights. Is this just a market thing (i.e. the production techniques are too expensive for the level of demand) or is there a technical reason why composites are commonly seen on ultralights?

Back