• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Future of aviation/auto gasoline?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wayne

Folks -
I, like many of you, have an airplane engine that burns gasoline. In my case the engine is a UL Power which requires 93 Octane non leaded fuel and will likely come from an automobile gas station. With vehicle manufacturers world wide focusing heavily on electrification (a combination of a new market opportunity plus environmental/Government factors) it seems inevitable to me that my source of fuel is going to be getting scarcer and scarcer until it eventually runs out. I expect it's price to rise with declining consumption.

Since General Aviation is such a tiny market for gasoline compared to the automotive market where does that leave us for fuel? Is there going to be a large enough market to justify a refinery to produce gasoline until we get a workable electric solution?

If we do get a workable electricity based energy source will we be retro-fitting our older airplanes or are we looking at a total loss, followed by a huge investment in a new airplane that many of us can't afford?

Looking on the bright side, if we do get forced into new aircraft, there really will be a need for a cost effective run about plane so there will be a new market of some kind.

Back