• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Sale and Certification Of 121.5 MHz ELTs Prohibited

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Daleandee

Hopefully everyone has seen this by now:

https://www.avweb.com/avwebflash/ne...ion-of-1215-MHz-ELTs-Prohibited-232010-1.html

It's okay to continue to use the older (121.5 MHz) ELT's but "Certification of new 121.5 MHz ELTs is prohibited effective Jan. 11, 2019."

If I understand correctly this means if you are close to getting your air worthiness inspection done you will need to install a newer
406 MHz ELT if your inspection is after the January cutoff date.

I'm certain that when needed an updated ELT would be a welcomed asset but I don't agree that the price for both are as close together as they seem to believe.

ADS-B will be a great help in giving the general location where your plane was last known to be but when they come looking for your crashed plane ... a screaming ELT could be just what is needed ... especially if you were injured and in a remote area.

Dale
N319WF

PS: No ... I'm still flying my old 121.5 version!

Back