• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

High School Corben Baby Ace Project

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FritzW

A couple of weeks ago the JROTC instructor and 3 or 4 of the shop teachers from one of local High Schools stopped by our EAA hangar to see what it would take to have their students build an airplane. These guys have an incredible "let's just do it!" attitude. ...which really resonates with me.

After a few more "get the ball rolling" meetings I gave them a Baby Ace 'D' fuselage (that I'd probably never get around to finishing) and an O-200 with a McCauley prop, ...and a commitment from our local chapter that we'll help in any way we can.

They're hoping, when they're successful with the Baby Ace, it'll lead to a two seat kit that they can build and start a flight training program for the students. ...watch out Zenith!, these guys are going to be knocking on your door :gig:.

20181214_102548_resized.jpg a few of the Mayfield HS students from the JROTC, Auto shop, and Welding programs.

20181214_104928_resized.jpg ...my sweet 'ol Baby Ace project (with brand new Cleveland wheels and brakes) will be much happier in a busy High School shop class than sitting in a forgotten corner on my hangar <wipe a tear from my eye> :gig:

20181214_134743_resized.jpg ...two of the instructors who have, truly contagious, enthusiasm for the project.

...Here's where the HBA comes in:
90% of what they need to finish the project is 'stuff' sitting in a T hangar or a garage here in Las Cruces. I'll find it and finagle it out of the owners.
10% will need to be finagled out of someone else (maybe you). ...it'll probably be something your tripping over and getting ready to throw away anyway. ...turnbuckles, shackles, AN-XYZ's, etc. ...airplane builders know exactly what I'm talking about. Building this thing is going to take a year or two, the "junk" you have in your T hangar might be the "make or break" for this project...

Back