• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Development of a dream

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

deskpilot

Morphett Vale, South Australia. Just south of Adel
Hi Guys, having introduced myself a couple of days ago (did you read that?) I have now opened an album for pictures of my single seat, mid wing pusher, with a difference. Before you leap there though, a bit of back ground info.

Here in Oz we have our (Recreational Flying | The most popular home of Recreational Pilots and Ultralight Flying Enthusiasts) forums and some time ago some of our members tried to design an aircraft by committee, so to speak. Well, the inevitable happened and everyone put forward their ideas, wants, wishes etc etc. but no basic guide lines or rules were established.

Consequently, nothing came of it. I was still interested in designing something that a rank amateur could build. Something that was a bit more modern than the old Thrusters and Drifters, but not as involved and time consuming as a full metal, or composite. Whilst us in the know would be ok with building in wood, this might seem like 'old' technology to 'newbies'. Therefore, Rag and Tube seemed to be the way to go but, could everyone weld. No. So a steel frame was out. I opted for Alloy tubes that could be bolted, or riveted together as a start. I had a dream for something different and thought my ideas might also be appealing to others as well.

I proposed the forum might like to be involved in the development of my design but very little came of it from the older (wiser?) members. It was voiced that litigation as to who was ultimately responsible should the craft be built and fail in flight was something to be avoided. The younger set, quite liked my idea so I kept working on it and am now on Mk 2.

I have been reading your posts for quite sometime and I like your approach to the subject. BTW, thank God you didn't sub-divide this particular forum. Without your knowledgeable input, there just might be at least one fellow dreamer heading for disaster.

OK, here we go. First view Picasa Web Albums - Doug - Ultralight De...

Now, some more info.

You may ask why position the prop where I have it. All I'm going to say is 'Why not?' It's only drawback is cost and the need for some of us to have to farm it out a bit. (subcontract)

The tail feathers will be removable as a one piece assembly.

The boom tube will be internally strengthened as per the wing main spars.

Power will most probably be from an 1800cc VW flat 4, set fairly well back to counter the forward position of the pilot. I want that to be as far forward as possible the give a better rearward, under wing view. Ever lost the field on late downwind? Prop will initially be driven via multiple V belts.

My original intent was to use a ply/foam sandwich for my ribs but was kind of guided away from that idea, so then modeled solid ply. Having now read the comparison tests here within your forums, I will revisit that plan.

I've simplified my flaps. The original Youngman type had their merits but involved too much work for a beginner. They would also come too near to the prop for my liking.

So, what do you think. Viable? safe? If you're knowledgeable, be brutal, I can take it :gig:

Back