• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Bonding a Fiberglass Airplane...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wsimpso1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Some texts, including Bingelis, indicate that airplanes should be bonded by running ground straps to everything in an attempt at keep the airframe at the same potential. This all sounds fussy and complicated... I am a mechanical engineering geek, and can go on and on about structures, vibration, fabrication. Electrons, well, I can not see them, and do not really get them... So I need help and hope that the rest of us can use the discussion.

Then I read Nuckolls' AeroElectric Connection... He tells us to run power out and then back to a common ground connector that bridges both sides of the firewall and has the battery negative cable and engine strap all attached. He also tells us that these ground systems running to everything are invitations to ground loops and noise galore...

So, what am I to believe? Anybody have any experience on doing the systems either way, or better yet, both ways? How did it work? I would like to hear the pros and cons of both schemes...

Billski

Back