• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Using 3D prints as fabrication templates

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hello All,

I have been rebuilding a damaged Zigolo and so far along the process I have been using my 3D printer quite a bit in the build. I had a fair amount of parts that were damaged and had to recreate. I had a 4130 weldment where all the gear connection tabs were bent. I modeled up new tabs in Solidworks and 3D printed templates to be used to make the replacement parts. It worked so well that I did it again with a personal mod to allow me to adjust the seat. This time I took some pics of the process. The cockpit is a bit cramped for tall pilots so the rudder pedals can stay fixed and by moving the seat back it will help lower my knees since I am 6'4" yet it will still work with shorter pilots with the seat in the original location. I used this method to make 4ea 2mm thick aluminum brackets, but easily could have made 10 at a time. Also I just attached template and once I began, there was no measuring, just select the drill and use the template as a drill guide then trim and sand.. Went very quick.

Single template clamped to part to drill first few holes for bolts.

IMG_3773.jpg

2 holes drilled and bolted together, C clamps removed.
IMG_3775.jpg

Series of holes drilled.
IMG_3777.jpg

Drilling Rivet holes.
IMG_3779.jpg

Second template added after all holes drilled.
IMG_3780.jpg

Cutting it out.
IMG_3781.jpg IMG_3782.jpg IMG_3784.jpg

All templates removed with 4mm drills used to keep alignment while I bolt it back together.
IMG_3785.jpg

Sanded up and a bit of skotchbrite on the edges and its done.
IMG_3786.jpg IMG_3787.jpg

I have not separated the brackets yet as I have a bit of sanding on one edge to remove some cut lines and then scotchbrite that side.

This method was so quick and I plan to use it when building the Skylite. My dad and I will be starting the Skylite in the next few months and when we do, I will make enough parts to build 2 airframes. I will draw up as many of the gussets and brackets as possible and then give the templates to my dad who is retired and can just crank them out. When say all the wing fittings are done we start the wings. Also I have used the 3D printing to print actual parts that I need to fabricate and install the print to test it and when I know it fits, I then make the part.

Thoughts?

Back