• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

An airplane that can fly itself (Autonomous Vehicle)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Unknown_Target

Check this out. Diamond is developing a system whereby a user can input a distress code and the aircraft will find where it is and fly itself to a nearby airport.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O1Juf-RynUo

Ok, I already know the first comments, so I'll get them out of the way:

1) It's another point of failure.
2) It's a computer system which can be unreliable.
3) It's no replacement for good pilot training.
4) It might not work 100% in all situations.
5) It's probably too expensive for me to buy it/it's probably not available for purchase.
6) Poor pilot training could make the problem worse (ex: deploying a ballistic parachute when too low/too fast).

My immediate counter:

Yes to all of the above, but it will improve safety in the situations where it was designed to work and the pilot (or passenger) is appropriately trained in its limitations.

More importantly, if we want general aviation to spread to more people then systems like this are necessary for peace of mind and for the eventual reality that exists even today, where pilots aren't completely up to date on their training.

Back