• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Learn to fly for the public

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Inverted Vantage

Formerly Unknown Target
Hi everyone,

So I teach at a local public makerspace*, close to Boston. It's run by the local library, so it's free for all citizens to use. It's pretty cool - you can check out our Meetup page if you're interested.

I teach 3D printing classes and lately I've started a project called, for lack of a better title, "Learn/Build to Fly", where we are building a motion flight simulator based on the Joyrider plans. In addition to a group build project, I want to teach people about how planes work, how they fly, and of course, how to fly using a flight simulator.

Note: This class is not meant to go towards actual flight time. I am not a CFI. EDIT: I am a licensed private pilot. I will be teaching the class.

So I'm trying to come up with a rough outline of where to start. I know a lot but I have difficulty formulating it all into a linear progression. Right now I've started teaching about lift, then moving into parts of a plane and then just putting them on Microsoft Flight Simulator, but I'd like to get into more detail.

I just did some reading up on adverse yaw, and p-factor. I'd like to get into this. But what I'm looking for is both a gradual progression of things to teach, a list of things that pilots must understand (with an eye towards general stuff rather than super specifics), and things that are good to repeat over and over. It's been several years since I went through flight school so I'd appreciate what you guys think. Maybe a good goal would be "just enough to fly a glider"? Something like that.

Cheers! :)

*Makerspaces, sometimes also referred to as hackerspaces, hackspaces, and fablabs are creative, DIY spaces where people can gather to create, invent, and learn. In libraries they often have 3D printers, software, electronics, craft and hardware supplies and tools, and more.
A Librarian's Guide to Makerspaces: 16 Resources | OEDB.org

Last edited:
Back